Criminal records check - getting it right

In January, the DBS announced the results of its initial compliance inspections of registered bodies and identified inappropriate barred list checks as one of its biggest areas of concern. The DBS has been visiting registered bodies since March 2016 and checking compliance with the DBS code of practice. The inspections revealed that registered bodies are requesting barred list checks when they are not required. The DBS said: 'This is an offence and may result in an RB receiving information they are not legally entitled to see and the applicant being inappropriately investigated for trying to work in an activity they are barred from.'

In the experience of the CPU, the problem of 'over-compliance' is a common one. Organisations often feel that they ought to err on the side of caution when checking staff and volunteers, but they should be aware that making a barred list check when it's not required is unlawful. Barred lists checks are additional to an enhanced DBS check and they are only required when the person is working a role that involves 'regulated activity' (see the DfE guidance on what this covers).

The DBS has said that it will be circulating a questionnaire to determine registered bodies' compliance. It will offer support to non-compliant organisations, but if they fail to improve, the DBS has the power to suspend or cancel their registration. Obtaining an unlawful barred list check can also breach the Data Protection Act and lead to action against registered bodies by the Information Commissioner. It's important that registered bodies get it right and only apply for DBS checks when the person's role requires it.

The rules on DBS checks are set out in the DBS code of practice and workforce guidance. These aren't as user-friendly as they could be and we recommend using them in conjunction with the DBS eligibility checker.

This month there's also been a development in the visa rules on overseas criminal records checks for people from outside the European Economic Area applying to work in an educational role. The Home Office has introduced a requirement that an overseas criminal record certificate will be required from any country where the applicant for a visa has worked for 12 months or more in the 10 years prior to their application.


+44 (0)1403 790294